In 2011 KONE used 407 kt of materials for producing and packaging its elevators and escalators. The scope of the 2011 calculations has been extended to include the KONE MonoSpace® and KONE 3000X MiniSpace™ elevators as well as the KONE TravelMaster™ 110 escalator. As earlier calculations were based only on the KONE MonoSpace® elevator, the figures for 2011 are not comparable with the 2009 and 2010 figures.
We focus strongly on material management and the optimization of our own operations. Our primary goal is to reduce waste from the very early stages of our manufacturing chain, beginning with the product development stage. We also aim to reduce waste in our manufacturing facilities and offices through reduction at the source, reuse and recycling, and by sending waste to incineration.
Waste is always handled in local KONE organizations according to applicable laws and regulations. We aim to be as material-efficient as possible, and to exceed legal requirements.
Only 3% of the waste generated by KONE’s global delivery chain – which comprises 10 engineering and production sites – is sent to landfill. The remaining 97% is recycled or incinerated.
Although the water consumption in our production and maintenance processes is minimal, we are continuing to optimize and further minimize our usage of water. KONE uses municipal water, and wastewater is released into community treatment systems that abide by local regulations. The total amount of water used in our production and our office facilities remained at 270 k (2010: 270 k) m3.