Through effective research and development, KONE continuously strives to improve the eco-efficiency of its solutions. KONE is a pioneer in developing solutions that save energy and thus reduce the carbon footprint.
Environmentally sound solutions
The KONE MonoSpace Machine Room-Less platform is one of the most environmentally sound elevator concepts in the industry. Based on our KONE EcoDisc® technology, it incorporates KONE’s commitment to deliver solutions that use less energy and recycle as many products and components as possible.
- The energy-efficient EcoDisc® consumes approximately 40% less energy than conventional traction machines and produces less heat
- EcoDisc® , with no oil required, removes the need for repeated lubrication, clean-up and disposal of hazardous waste materials, all of which are found with conventional systems
- 95% recyclable materials
Read more about KONE Eco-efficient™ solutions.
Focusing on Eco-efficiency
The biggest environmental impact of an elevator is generated by its use. Consequently, reducing the environmental impact of an equipment is most effective when the product is being developed and the optimal solution for the ship is being planned.
Reducing standby energy consumption
When the elevator is idle, it still consumes energy. The standby energy is mostly consumed by the car lights, control devices, car ventilators, elevator drives and control systems. This standby energy consumption can account for 25 to 80 percent of the total energy consumed by the elevator, depending on its design and usage. Less frequent usage means that a higher percentage of the electricity can be saved by reducing standby energy consumption. KONE has developed various ways to save standby energy:
- After the last car call, the car lights and the car fan are switched off automatically; they come on again the next time the car is called.
- The usage of LED lights reduces the energy consumed in car lighting by up to 80 percent and they last up to 10 times longer than halogen lights.
- A few minutes after the last car call, the signalization automatically switches to standby mode. This can reduce up to 80 percent of the energy consumed by the signalization system.
Read more from the KONE Corporate site about how KONE can help maintain eco-efficiency.